Saturday, November 5, 2011

D is for Duck

As I have said before, we have been having so much fun with our "letter of the week" activities with Pk's school. I actually find, now, that on the fourth week, when they review the three letters that they have done so far, I actually miss it. I know, I'm crazy. I love this stuff (why do you think that I am a primary teacher?)

D was an easy one for us, although for snacks, it was a bit harder. (And snacks is another post...) I tried making date muffins and twice, they were crumbly and I couldn't get them out of the pan. I tried giving the kids dates to eat (the dried ones) and that was not a hit, either.

In our house, there were a couple of things that were absolute necessities for D. The first, of course, was dogs. Needless to say, trying to get two dogs and a child to pose for a photo posed certain challenges. I don't think the result was too bad, although I think it would have been better if they had been closer together.

Our next d was a great one. For Thanksgiving Monday (we are in Canada and celebrate Thanksgiving much earlier - I think Americans have it right on this one, November is so bleak and boring here), we went with several families to the local farm for the activities. It was a gorgeous, hot day and best of all, my teacher friend whose sister married into the farm family, was making fresh doughnuts all day. I have to say, these doughnuts, crispy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside and coated with sugar, were an entirely new doughnut experience for all of us. I will never have one at a corner doughnut shop again!

The next idea was one that I have bee pondering for a while. We live outside the city and not far from the beach but I have found it hard to predictably find ducks around here. They hang out in the puddles outside my classroom after a big rain but none of the local ponds seem to have them. We had to go back to the city to be certain that we could feed them. We went down to the big city to visit my parents and while there, we fed ducks at the beach. We almost didn't make it because of a fight about clothing (Pk had a dress on and I had put on bicycle shorts underneath as I always do and she decided that she was hot and didn't want to wear the dress, just the shorts and shirt - I am not into having my child parade around in too-small shorts, thank you). We resolved our issues with some help from Uncle J and had a great time feeding the ducks and scaring Gran that Pk was going to fall through into the lake.
And, of course, we saved the best for last, D is for DADDY! He is such a wonderful guy who makes life so much fun for all of us. How could we miss him???

We'll be back with E and F shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment