Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Yarn Along


I haven't been around here for this for a long time and really, given my lack of photography skills and my crappy camera, I really don't belong here but I must admit, I LOVE doing this.  Knitting and reading are two of my favourite things, especially when life is chaotic.  It's nice to be back.

As you can see from my photo, I seem to have having some trouble committing these days.  In terms of knitting, I finished not one but two of the Jared Flood Guernsey Wraps for Christmas gifts (note to self: I must make myself one someday but I honestly needed a break) and since then, I have been wandering a bit.  I made Pk a matching scarf/hat thing for her and for her Jenna doll (that's another post) and I've been doing some dishcloths and I have been printing off all kinds of patterns.  I debated making this or this or this but finally, I think I have settled on Jared Flood's Topiary, which I have started twice now.  It's a charted pattern and I often find they take me a few false starts before I really get them going and this one is no exception.  I don't know much about Jared Flood (or, to quote my English Father-in-law, "Who's he when he's at home?"), but his designs are gorgeous!

I've been no better with books.  I finished "The Year of Biblical Womanhood" by Rachel Held Evans (another post - it was BRILLIANT!) and Kathy Reichs newest, which was also super and I've been wandering since.  I had finished the first two books of The Crosswicks Journals by Madeleine L'Engle, which I had adored, and now I am on to book three.  It's good and I love the way her mind wanders but she loosely bases each chapter on a segment of the liturgical year.  We follow the year to some extent but not the way that Anglicans do and I'm finding it a bit harder to follow.  I'm also still reading "Almost Amish" by Nancy Sleeth.  I go back and forth on this book.  She has many great ideas and inspires me to living greater simplicity but I also am finding it a bit earnest, if that makes sense.  Yes, we need to live wisely and thoughtfully and frugally but there is a point at which it beings to feel a bit stark to me.  Finally, for some light reading, there is "Diva's Don't Knit" by Gil McNeil.  It's cute - think Bridget Jones meets any one of the yarn store novels that are out there these days.  I like it but it certainly wouldn't go on any top ten lists.

I can't wait to see what everyone else is knitting and reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment