Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Yarn Along

Each week, Ginny, over at Small Things, hosts the wonderful "Yarn Along."  Each participant is invite to share their knitting and reading from the past week.  I have met some of my favourite authors there and most certainly some of the wonderful patterns that have become favourites!  It's also a wonderful place for inspiration!

I can't say that it has been an especially inspiring week or either knitting or reading - it's been all about stolen moments in between the concerts and rehearsals at church and at school, hosting family and trying desperately to finish the shopping.  So much for a quiet, contemplative Advent season.  Anyway, I did manage to sneak a bit in so I will share!

In terms of reading, I have been keeping up with my pattern of skipping around between books and of buying when I am already inundated with things I would like to read.  This week, I picked up Rebekah's Treasure again, by Sylvia Bambola.  I don't know where I stumbled across this book and I didn't actually think I would enjoy it given that I am not a huge fan of historical fiction but I must say, this book keeps my attention and it's hard to put it down for reasons other than going to sleep!  One of my goals this holiday is to do a lot of reading and I hope this will be one of the first books I finish.



The other interesting new addition to my reading list is Saint Francis of Assisi by G.K. Chesterton.  I was buying some things from ChristianBook.com and I started doing some very random browsing and somehow came across this.  Given my love of animals and of some of the prayers accredited to St. Francis, I've always been interested in him and this book seems to be a classic.  I've read the introduction and I'm looking forward to having time when I can focus a bit more when I read over the holidays!



In terms of knitting, I am frantically trying to get a few last minute gifts made.  I has several people for whom I need gifts but who aren't people that I necessarily feel comfortable buying gifts for (e.g., my friend's mother who will be there on our Christmas Eve annual dinner).  I love have a knitted gift at a time like that as I find it seems more personal than, say, a box of chocolate and shows care without being too personal when I just don't feel that I know the person well enough.  I've been making a few of the "Reversatile" cowls, which are a cinch to knit and work up really quickly.  I finished the claret coloured one last week and have the cream coloured on almost done.  I hope to get one or even two more done before Christmas, which may be a bit too ambitious but we will see!









No comments:

Post a Comment