Since I went back to work, Pk has been sick repeatedly. Between her going to daycare (where they seem to trade germs back and forth on a daily basis) and the fact that dh and I are both elementary teachers, this poor kid has lost the health lottery, that's for sure. I just hate how little control I have over it. I feel so ineffectual - there is so little I can do and I worry that if I take her to the doctor/hospital/walk-in, I am wasting time and money but if I don't, I am being a negligent mother.
This weekend, we have gone through it yet again. Last week, she got sniffly, seemed like she had a fever and had a runny nose. Her eye teeth look like they are on their way through so I didn't worry too much. Then, Saturday morning, the cough started. It sounds HORRIBLE. It's a heavy bark and she cries after every cough. She was flushed and warm so I started her on Advil. It just got worse and worse. By Saturday night, I was wondering whether it might be croup. She was miserable and wouldn't sleep (such a surprise LOL) and felt like she was burning up. At around midnight, I threw her in the car and we went for a drive with the windows down (the cold air seemed to be helping). I debated whether to go to the hospital and finally decided after an hour of driving and a drive by the hospital, decided to wait.
Yesterday morning, it was bad again. I agonized over what to do. My doctor has asked that we not go to walk-in clinics (she hasn't forbade it but has "asked" us not to - we are registered patients which means that we get wonderful access to her by email and we don't pay for things like notes but she get charged a large fee whenever we use walk-in). I was worried because mum is watching Pk for me this week and I didn't want her worrying about something awful. I didn't really want to take her to emergency because I didn't want to waste time. I HATE these kinds of decisions (I know, I know, I am blowing it all totally out of proportion).
The wheezing got worse all morning and I finally decided to call the walk-in clinic and see what they would suggest. Given Pk's age, they wanted us to go to the hospital. Once dh got back from Home Hardware (a subject for another day - why is that so important that it must be done BEFORE taking a sick child to the hospital????), we went into Uxbridge to the cottage hospital (someone at the hardware store told dh to go there). After two hours of waiting, we saw a very nice doctor for all of 5 minutes. I gather that yes, she does have a fever, yes, her upper chest is very tight, yes, she is wheezing terribly and yes, she does have a "croup-like" cough but no, we don't have anything to help (what I suspected anyway). It's back to the old standbys - the humidifier, running the shower, propping up the head of her bed and basically just wait it out.
On the plus side, I don't have to be worried about pneumonia, I don't have to worry that I am not doing something that I should and I can leave her with mum in good conscience. It just wasn't the best way to spend Sunday afternoon.
Bring on spring and cleaner outdoor air. PLEASE!