Friday, July 8, 2011

On the Run

I have been keeping up with my running and I am really excited about it. Before I forget, here is the link to the podrunner podcasts that I am using. The music is o.k. and it means that I don't have to bother about using some kind of stopwatch. The music is also kept to a strict tempo to build your pace and stamina. I just finished week 3 of the 5 to 8 k.

I can't believe how much I am enjoying this. I won't lie, there are mornings that I don't feel like running and there are certainly times during the run that I wish I could stop. On the other hand, I love the fact that, when I start my day with my run, I can go through the rest of the day feeling like I have accomplished something. I also, for the first time in my life, feel like I am really improving my fitness. I have worked out in one form or another since 2nd year university, either doing some kind of workout tape or walking, walking, walking. I never really noticed the improvement in my fitness that I was hoping for. With running, I can really see the change. Last Wednesday, Dh's alarm didn't go off and I didn't get to have my morning run. The only time I had was late afternoon, when it was just too hot to run outside. I decided to do my run on the treadmill. I had to up the speed from what I used to run at since my previous indoor running pace felt too slow and I ran 6.35 km in the time, which is almost double what I was running when I started. It's so good to feel fit and strong. This morning, I tried a new route that was mostly uphill (the next run I am hoping to do in the fall is very hilly, I have been told, so I want to start training that way) and I could still do it.

How's your running going?

3 comments:

  1. Good for you!

    I'm getting 2-3 runs in each week. If I run too frequently or too far (more than 7K), then my hips start hurting. I do other stuff throughout the week to supplement - toning and such.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you!! I used to run, but haven't since I was pregnant last year. It's soooo incredibly humid (and hot!) here so I used to always take the summers off (I'm not a morning runner). I'm excited for the crisp fall weather... probably not til October or November. But then Oliver will be big enough for his jogger stroller - yay! I love your running - it took me forever to be able to do it so I'm always impressed when others can do it so quickly! It's hard work!! Good luck with the 5k to 8k! I wish I could do an 8k. Maybe one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing about the 5k to 8k info. I loved (ok, maybe not quite the right word! :) ) the couch to 5k program, so maybe I'll give this one a try when I'm ready to move up.

    ReplyDelete