Friday, March 27, 2015

Holy Week

For the last week or so, I've started thinking about Easter.  I've thought about what food we are going to serve my inlaws who are coming to visit.  I've thought about getting a few basket treats for the kids.  I've thought about how we are going to manage time.  I've thought a bit about maybe trying to find a Maundy Thursday service (I LOVE my church but they don't do Maundy Thursday and it's the one time that I miss the worship of my childhood - a few favourite hymns, a quiet evening communion service and preparing myself for the weekend to come). 

Sadly, I haven't really thought about Easter itself.  I haven't done anything to prepare to get my heart and mind ready.

I was at women's group at church tonight (it's a monthly thing and every month, I decide that I'm too tired to go but I'll plod off since I have agreed to go with a friend and every month, I come home so grateful I was there).  This month, among other things, we had a wonderful devotion at the end.  In it, Rebecca, someone I really admire, talked about the fact that for many Christians, while we believe in the amazing gift of Easter, we've gotten so used to it that we just accept it as fact but that we don't really treasure it anymore.  She spoke about the fact that we, as women, work so hard to try to please God and to earn our way into being good enough but that truly, the cross is a symbol that God considered us worthy of dying for, as we are, and that we need to try to recapture the awesomeness of that.  We need to live like the treasure of God that we are and we need to really reflect on the awe of that fact. 

It's really made me aware of a need to plan the next week.  I had meant to make Lent more significant but in the busyness of life, that hasn't happened.  I think I am going to spend some time working tomorrow to make the last week of Easter much more special.  If anyone has any hints or suggestions, I'd love to hear what you are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment