Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Yarn Along



I am so grateful!  I have been lugging my knitting around with me in the car since January but when I take the kids to skating lessons, etc., I end up not bothering with getting it out.  Since last week's Yarn Along post, I've been knitting a fair bit and I've actually gotten a noticeable amount finished on my wrap!  Last week, I was about a third of the way done and now, I am over half way there!  Hooray!  My only problem is that since I have been following the Yarn Along, I am pinning patterns all over the place for other things to make.  This could get expensive.  I love to see what everyone else is doing and I've been inspired!  To see the main Yarn Along page, click this link and thank you to the host - it's such fun!

In terms of reading, I've had two major targets for reading and one other than I am dabbling with.  I am participating in the Bloom in-courage book club on the book The Fringe Hours by Jessica Turner.  It's challenged me a bit and it's a bit uncomfortable for me in places but clearly she gets people like me and if I am going to get anything to come of it, I am going to have to find a way to release some of what I am holding onto.  It's not always easy but it's good for me.

I'm also keeping going with the Louise Penny book The Long Way Home.  If you like mysteries, you can't do better, especially if you like character development (and I am a big fan of recurrent characters).  She's brilliant AND she's Canadian!  The only problem I am having is that I am so tired by the time I get to bed that I keep falling asleep when I am reading and losing my page.

Finally,  our minister is doing a series on the personality of Jesus (it's been interesting) and he mentioned that he was basing some of it on John Eldredge's book Beautiful Outlaw.  I've been reading that, too, but much more slowly.  I think I like it but I'm too tired to think that much sometimes.  It has made me realise that I really, to a large degree, have two Jesus Christ's in my head - the radical who has shaped my outlook and the "gentle Jesus, meek and mild" who really isn't reflective of what the Bible had to say about Jesus.  It never occurred to me before, for instance, that Jesus was actually very funny. 

I've also been book buying, which is dangerous.  SheLoves, a great Christian women's blog (great, great, great!) has a book club, The Red Couch.  As I've said before, I'm a sucker for any kind of book club.  They release their selections by quarters so I have bought the books for March (last book in the first quarter) and the books for April and May.  Now, if I can only find the time to read them?  I'm hoping to start Found by Micha Boyett tonight.  It sounds marvelous!

What's on your needles?  Is there anything I have to read or that I should pin for later?

2 comments:

  1. The Fringe Hours looks very interesting.... Thank you for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your wrap is beautiful. What lovely patterns you have knitted. Are you knitting it from a chart?

    ReplyDelete