Friday, December 23, 2016

Advent Week 4 - Friday


Today was the last day of school before the break and it often becomes a day that is all about just surviving.  I wanted something fun to do and I had a fun idea.  I don't know whether you have seen the meme on Facebook about there being a Christmas Eve tradition that you give people books and chocolates and people spend the evening cozy and reading.  It's probably not even true (we aren't exactly concerned about facts on Facebook) but in this case, I don't really care.  It's my idea of heaven!

The idea that I came up with was this - I'd run to the amazing Mennonite thrift store in the town in which I work, which tends to have really good books.  I would pick up a book or two for two close local friends who I know have seen the meme.  I'd get each some chocolate and drop off a special Christmas Eve surprise.  It was more fun than I even thought!  Trying to pick out a book for someone is harder than it sounds and I ended up getting each four books in the hope that I would find at least one that hadn't bee read already and might also be interesting.  For my one friend, who loves What Should I Read Next (Anne Bogel's amazing podcast), I tried to find authors that I had heard mentioned on the podcast.  I tied them up in a ribbon and went for a little drive, tucked the pile into each friend's door and then, sent a text to say that something was there.  This was so much fun!  

Gift giving often stresses me out terribly - my Enneagram 3 heart worries about failing and not being great at giving gifts but this was one with no pressure - totally unexpected, with no obligation in return and just a way to tell two friends I love them.  THIS is the fun part of Christmas gift giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment