Friday, July 24, 2009

Gratitude 4

I am so grateful that I live in Canada and that we have a public health care system.  Last night, while I was making dinner, I cut myself very badly.  It was gushing blood and looked horrible and as soon as I did it, I knew that we were going to have to go to the hospital.  I was scared and overwhelmed.  I can't imagine, on top of everything else, worrying about how we would pay for our care or whether our insurance company would cover it.  I hear these horror stories about long waits and our "poor" healthcare system...that hasn't been my experience.  I was seen and stitched in less than 75 minutes AND the kind emergency room doctor was patient about me having Pk lying on me on the gurney while I was stitched (she saw me cut myself and was terrified and would not be separated from me without panicked hysterics).  I was a stupid thing to do and will add complications to my life until the stitches come out next week but at least the hospital part of the experience was good.  Thank you Dr. Lee for your kind and patient help!

1 comment:

  1. My experiences with our helath care have only been good, too, while in contrast, living stateside for 3 years, I only went and saw a doctor the one time to get a primary care physician set up, because I had no issues and didn't want to be paying the copays. Plus, by the time you pay your premiums on top of your taxes, you pay at least as much, so your not saving anything with your supposedly lower tax rate.

    Glad you are okay...

    ReplyDelete