Monday, May 24, 2010

Happy Victoria Day

Victoria Day, otherwise referred to as the May 24 weekend, is a Canadian institution. It is much more a symbol of the beginning of the summer than the official start of the season. It's a terrible weekend for driving as everyone who has any access goes off to a cottage or camping and the few who remain at home usually spend the weekend gardening (at least locally, this is seen as the first weekend that is guaranteed to be frost-free).

In some ways, this weekend is wasted in our home. Dh is NOT a fan of heat, of bugs or of being without a/c and it would certainly appear that Pk is much like her daddy - she likes to be outside but insists that all bugs must be removed and while she doesn't mind getting dirty, she wants to be clear a.s.a.p.

I was very grateful today that dh was willing to, as an act of love, go with us to the beach. We have taken Pk before but she didn't seem to remember. I think she is in love. She built sandcastles with Gran, gradually gained enough confidence to let us take her shoes off and let the water "tickle her toes" which eventually led to splashing and jumping in the lake. It was a wonderful way to spend part of the day. I personally could spend my entire life beside water so it was a nice treat for me. I hope that baby is fairly cooperative because I would love to spend some of the summer at the beach!

1 comment:

  1. That is so sweet! We unfortunetly don't get the day off, being farmers, but it was a lovely weekend just the same (that said, it rained all day Monday, so we just stayed indoors anyways). I'm looking forward to camping this year. We got a seasonal site at a local campground, which will make things so much easier! I hope your baby loves the beach as well! :)

    ReplyDelete