Saturday, May 29, 2010

Recipe Round-Up

This week has been a week of wonderful cooking. I tried several new recipes that are definitely going to be staples around here from now on.

The first was sometime that I usually wouldn't make but for some reason, this recipe caught my fancy and it was DELICIOUS. I have gotten some yummy recipes from Cooking During Stolen Moments and if you like quiche, this is a no-brainer. This Sausage and Spinach Quiche was fantastic and easy to make. I chose to make my own pastry (I don't like store bought, I find it really salty - I use the recipe that my mom and grandma always used and it works for me). Everyone here loved this!

Another nice recipe I tried was this Creamy Crockpot Chicken which I found via Michele at Frugal Granola. It was yummy, didn't involve many ingredients, the house smelled lovely and the ingredients were all fresh and healthy. This is another keeper!

Another really yummy recipe I tried this week was this hummus recipe from Hallee at Hallee the Homemaker, who I met through the UBP this year. Obviously, hummus is easy to buy at the store but since I am trying to avoid processed food and unnecessary ingredients, throwing together my own hummus is a no-brainer. What I really liked about this one is that it is really lemon-y. I find that hummus can be really yummy or really bland - I always thought the difference was garlic but while this one isn't all that garlic-y, the lemon-y kick makes it really, really good. I also got a nice idea and used this hummus in a wrap. Lindsay at Passionate Homemakers had a great post of healthy lunch ideas (lunch always stumps me!) and one suggestion was a mediterranean platter put together into a pita or wrap. I did a whole wheat wrap with tomatoes, hummus and black olives - it was amazing!

Finally, tomorrow at church, we are doing our monthly fellowship lunch and this month, our theme is sandwiches. We are trying to avoid the usual and go for some that are a little bit more interesting. I have tried these recipes and they seem like they have worked really well -
pimento cheese spread from Canadian Living
tuna olive salad from Canadian Living
Veggie wraps from Frugal Granola

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the link!

    I do hummus, Greek salad, and Kalamata olives in a flat bread and eat it as a sandwich. My favorite. :-)

    ReplyDelete