1. Three year olds are trying to assert their independence. I can't tell you how many times I have heard, "You can't do that" this week when I told her that a consequence was going to be imposed.
2. A mind can be changed 8 times in less than one minute. Keep with the programme, mommy!
3. Defiance can take so many forms. If I wasn't at the receiving end, I would admire the creativity.
4. The worst behaviour is always reserved for the person who does the most to take care of the three year old and the more you try, the worse it gets.
5. Moving on and totally ignoring the whining and crying from the back seat of the vehicle is the best strategy when driving.
6. Other people will think your child is being cute.
7. If you want it to happen, don't ask. Just start doing it yourself and act like you don't care and that YOU want to do it.
8. A child who was previously good at sharing can become an absolute tyrant.
9. The worse you are feeling, the worse the behaviour will be.
10. The most important lesson - I now understand so much better why God is shown as a parent.
God's grace never really meant anything to me until I had a child. Thursday was the worst day this week and right in the middle of the nasty, defiant and aggravating behaviour, it came to me - this is what God feels like. I don't think that I had much left - I felt like I wanted nothing more than to give her a good smack and to lock her in her room for the entire day and just totally ignore her and in truth, I had the power to do it, too. Despite that, I didn't hurt her or wound her the way she was wounding me. Instead, I took a deep breath, prayed a bit, walked away and loved her as fiercely as ever. It saddened me and frustrated me but it did nothing to diminish my love for her. I would still die for her if it came to that.
Thank you God for loving me when I am acting like a three year old.