Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Sex Ed

You have probably gathered that I am a teacher. I teach grade 2 in Ontario. Every so often, we get a new curriculum document and everyone goes crazy and people complain and then, we settle in to a new way of doing things, get comfortable and then a new government gets elected and we go through the process again. To be honest, I don't usually worry about it much, it always works itself out in the end.

Things are a bit different this week. The media, at least here in Ontario, is in a froth about the fact that we have a new health curriculum and one key aspect of the health curriculum is sex ed. I hadn't heard that there was anything new but CBC (for my American readers, think of NPR but that doesn't take itself quite so seriously and has more of a sense of humour) was doing a lot of discussion about it over the last few days, which keyed me in.

Before I get going with my opinion here, which will probably lose me the few blog readers I have, I have to say that most of my reactions are related to what I heard discussed on the radio as opposed to what I saw when I read the actual document. I have since gone to look at it myself and while I didn't read it carefully from end to end, in my skimming, I didn't find it anywhere near as objectionable as I expected to (and, as usual, the media is misrepresenting and/or giving the most extreme possible interpretations). If you want to see it for yourself, go to this link and you want to look at the C - Healthy Living section. There are two major sexual health expectations for each grade.

This morning, I heard an interview with a public health nurse and by the end of the interview, I was very uncomfortable and spent a lot of time brooding on it all day. There were several points in the interview that really were upsetting to me.

Let me preface this by saying that I find some issues really difficult to sort out my feelings on. I am a person who is very uncomfortable with anything that would be disrespectful to those around me and I try very hard to be as accepting of others as I can be without completely abandoning what I believe. I am a Christian and I honestly believe that Biblical teaching is the foundation for what I believe about moral choices. On the other hand, I struggle with how to be compassionate and non-judgemental of people who make choices that are different from my area of comfort. I am not a fanatical conservative who believes that everyone has to live exactly the same way but I do believe, deep down, that God wants human beings to be happy and when we do it our own way, often, that does not lead to happiness. I am a firm believer in monogamy and aside from faith aspects, from a physical and emotional health standpoint, frequent and brief sexual encounters has proven itself to not be a healthy way to live. I also have to say, as a teacher who has been in the field for 12 years, I am more convinced than ever that children need to grow up in stability and that divorce, promiscuity and transient family systems are not what is best for children. Before you shoot me, I am NOT saying that all children growing up in two parent households are in a better situation than everyone else or that a parent should stay in a highly toxic environment in the name of being a two parent family but ideally, a secure family led by two adults who can share the load is the environment in which I have seen kids thrive the most and, when the adults are legally linked, there is a comfort in knowing that just walking out the door is not something that will happen easily. On the flip side, children suffer most in situations of instability, when a parent is struggling or, even worse, when things change so often that the child cannot even establish what the family unit is.

Anyway, I am really rambling here so let me get to my point. The public health nurse was essentially putting forth the argument that, since children are going to hear about these things anyway, that we should just go ahead and teach EVERYTHING and at ages that are much younger than many parents would feel comfortable with. We are not just talking about basics, this curriculum gets into things like anal and oral sex, same sex practices and alternative relationship configurations, some of which are introduced as early as age 12. She dismissed any concerns that parents might have and repeatedly put forth that teachers would learn to use more "neutral language" such as refraining from using words like "husband and wife" since those would imply that parents should be married (which, ideally, is absolutely what I believe).

I found myself really, really, really upset by her tone. We can delude ourselves as much as we want but sex is not something that can be taught in total isolation from morality. We may not share the same ideas but sex is highly powerful and probably one of the most personal of belief-systems aside from (or connected to!) religion. You cannot teach the physical specifics without discussing the moral, emotional and health ramifications of sexual decisions - in doing so, you are essentially taking a stand that says that you can do whatever you want and that is O.K. As a parent, I am extremely uncomfortable with this approach. Every sexual act or sexual choice has a potentially long-term impact, not only on oneself but also on others (and in my opinion, it is only selfishness and a desire to avoid responsibility that leads someone to argue to the contrary). People can argue that it doesn't mean anything but that is just deluding oneself. How many people go around with long-term emotional problems because of a negative sexual encounter, a regret or, even worse, a disease because of one instance of poor judgement? And, given that the research clearly shows that adolescents, especially young ones, are not particularly capable of sound judgement due to hormonal and physiological changes, is just throwing this information at them without a paradigm for really processing it, doing them any favours? Yet again, I feel as if, as a society, we are just washing our hands of our children. We say, well, since they are going to encounter all of this stuff anyway or could find it out on the internet, we should just teach it to them and let them have at it. To me, that borders on child abuse. What a total abdication of our responsibility as parents.

One of the arguments was, "Well, they see these things in the media, so..." Again, I see that as total abdication of responsibility. No, I can't control everything that my child sees but there are many, many tools out there that enable parents to make wise choices in the media that children consume. My child will not be running around totally unsupervised and we as parents need to take the initiative to make wise choices about what our children watch. It's the same in terms of peer relationships. Can I control everything, of course not. I can, however, ensure that my daughter is in social situations that are sufficiently supervised and that the adults in charge are living up to their responsibilities. As she gets older, of course she will spread her wings and I won't be able to control that but I would hope, that by that time, she will have absorbed the important lessons on how to respect herself and live in keeping with her values so that she makes wise choices and knows what it feels like to make secure decisions.

I also have to say, as a Christian, I do get to the point that the idea of "tolerance" begins to get on my nerves. I don't think that our society is especially tolerant at all. We are "tolerant" of secularism and of people going with the status quo but we have become quite intolerant of people whose ideas don't match with the current thinking in terms of "equity" or of people whose opinions might make us feel judged (it's much easier to just accuse someone of being closed-minded or conservative than to objectively ponder whether there might be some truth in their beliefs, even if they are uncomfortable). I assure you, the students and parents in my work environment would all tell you that I go out of my way to affirm my students and not to convey judgement of their choices and I will fight for the rights of others to be respected but I do reserve the right to raise my daughter in the belief systems of our family.

I don't know what our approach will be to this in the long run. We have the choice to opt Pk out of sex ed and, depending on how it is presented, I might end up going that route, if I feel that what she is being taught goes against our morals. I don't mind someone teaching her the anatomical names of the body parts or what changes happen in puberty (frankly, having someone else deal with some of that stuff would be nice), I don't feel comfortable with her being exposed to sexual practices without a clear discussion of the possible impact of that on her long term mental and physical health. This part of parenting scares me silly.

8 comments:

  1. I quickly read everything you wrote and I don't really have time to digest it right now...

    but I read something the other day (my medical children's handbook) that suggest by age 5 children should know about sex. I really don't see why that is necessary...that would mean that by now Sydney would need to know. I'm not afraid of telling her, I just think 5 is a little young. Don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Five does seem very young to me. Why do children need that knowledge at that age? Where would they need to use that knowledge at that point? I don't get it! One rationale behind the new curriculum here is that girls are going into puberty much younger and will need to understand what is happening to their bodies. I have no problem with that at all, it makes perfect sense. On the other hand, the specifics of the sex act itself, especially in its more unusual forms? Not so necessary until later, I would think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the fact is that schools CAN'T teach the morality, but can teach the facts - it is up to parents to teach the morality part. I do believe that yes, even pretty sheltered kids will see stuff in media, but again, I think we as parents need to be prepared to talk about that stuff, even though it is uncomfortable, and tell them what we think about it. I think there are ways to talk about things that are neither too judgmental nor shying away from dealing them. We need to equip them with knowledge, but also the values we want them to live and make choices by. Together, those are good tools.

    I would also want to talk about the emotional ramifications - something I think is really important. I plan on talking to Pumpkinpie about the fact that I know no one who had sex under 16 who is okay with it looking back later, whereas people who had sex over 16 seem to vary by how that experience happened. I want her to know that it's important, and that she should be sure that the time and person are right for her. I would hate for her to have regrets about something you can't take back, you know?

    These things are my job, though, so what I would ultimately want is for any discussion that happens at school to be brought home for further discussion with me so I can look at it with her again through the lens I would like her to be using as she looks at all of this ahead of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree with you that parents need to be doing much of the discussing but sadly, many parents aren't. Many parents just avoid the uncomfortable questions and/or shrug their shoulders and sigh and say that society is the way it is and there is nothing that can be done. I believe that the morality and the emotion of sex IS linked - a lot of it relates to self-respect and self-esteem and, especially with girls, a realisation that you don't need to do whatever someone else asks, just to fit in or be accepted. As you say, you can't take it back. I would sincerely hope that much of the conversation would focus on exactly that - YOU CAN'T TAKE IT BACK and it isn't just something that you go ahead and do (and, frankly, as a 13 year old, you don't have the capacity to make a sound decision - not that a 13 year old is going to respond to that little fact!). I didn't hear that at all in the conversation with the public health nurse, she was really talking about it the way we would teach a concept in math or science - here are the facts, here are the different words we can use, here are different ways of doing it and neutrally discuss it like we are discussing the mechanical aspects of a car. Fortunately, when I read the curriculum, there did seem to be more of a focus on the emotional and relational aspects and, if it is taught in the spirit in which I think it is intended, I think it could be powerful for students. Sadly, the health curriculum is often something that is rushed through since it isn't something that is on the provincial tests and I don't think that there is enough time to really digest it. In a best case scenario, I would love to see it done with a parent-package that goes home with suggestions for HOW to discuss these things with children and with room for discussion on different views - I don't mind Pk being exposed to other ways of thinking on things but I just hope that there will be respect for the values of everyone and not the implied message that if you are not o.k. with everything that is shared, you are closed-minded and out of date.
    I'm sorry I am going on and on, I think I have just hit something that is a really sensitive point for me these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think any parent of a girl worries about these things, honestly, because there is so much crazy stuff out there to influence them, and not only them, but the boys they will grow up with. Images of hyper-perfect, over-groomed women that everyone seems to feel they need to live up to, skimpy clothes in stores for teens, videos that have turned up the naked and the suggestive moves another notch or two, and scenes/stories of parties that all seem to require drugs and sex to be fun. Guess what? fun can be had without all that, and I hope my kid will know that. Honestly, I'm hoping Pumpkinpie turns out a bit nerdier than she seems now, or finds a real passion in something. It seems to that those are often the kids who resist the pressure best, either by virtue of being a little on the sidelines or because they will immerse themselves in their interests. Sort of like we were, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The great debate! I struggle with this because I teach it and I am Christian. In our schools, we teach abstinence only but we still have a very high teen pregnancy rate and the curriculums will soon change. There's been a lot of recent debates here as well.

    If I'm being completely honest about the situation, I think it's a waaaay bigger problem than what we teach or not teach. If students are indeed doing it, they should have access to tools that can help them stay safer. Are kids having sex too young? Absolutely. Will teaching them about it make those who aren't doing it want to do it? I don't think so. But that's my opinion. I remember in school hearing about kids that were 'doing it' and it didn't make me want to do it.

    Sex is everywhere, that's for sure. But I also think that we have sooo many kids whose parents don't talk to them and they end up pregnant, with STDs... we had four (4!) young students test positive for HIV about two years ago. I was the one that had to tell one of them they were positive. That is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Telling an adult is one thing, but a mere child? It was tough. I cried when the student left. And I still check in on him from time to time.

    I'm really torn on this issue, I know what I believe, but I also know what's going on and the questions these kids are asking... the picture is so, so big and the problems are only getting worse.

    Good topic Sarah and you haven't lost me as a reader :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an interesting discussion and I so rarely get the chance to talk about things like this with people who have really, really thought about it - thanks, everyone, it is really clarifying my thinking. I know people who are either conservative Christians with black and white answers or overt liberals who also think they know it all and can't see they grey - you don't know how great it is to be able to discuss this with all of you.
    Kittenpie, you are right, and it connects with what Gin has to say, too - none of this is in isolation and, chances are, our children are not going to base their decisions solely on what is presented at school. These kinds of decisions have so much to do with self-esteem, security and access to healthy relationships with meaningful adults as they do with the actual sex acts themselves. You are right, Gin - just teaching abstinence is not doing anyone any favours and if anything, is wishful thinking. I was shocked yesterday when, on a blog I read, a commentor had said that "she had promised each of her daughters the downpayment on her first home if she saved her first kiss to her wedding day". Come on - all that is going to do is force your daughter to lie to you. That is unfair and unreasonable. Children do need the tools to be safe (hence why I think we SHOULD teach about sex, to a degree - especially the whole "good touch, bad touch" idea, so that children ARE able to recognize when they are being put in an inappropriate situation and are ready (and comfortable) with standing up for themselves). I don't mind Pk being taught the mechanics as long as the message is clear all along that way that this is a HUGE decision that can change the course of your life and if taken lightly, can hurt you beyond measure.
    Kittenpie, you also really hit the nail on the head in terms of hoping that Pumpkinpie finds her passions so that she isn't so sucked into the peer culture thing... It's funny you say that because when I am feeling the most insecure, I hold onto that. I saw, not too long ago, a study that had isolated protective factors for teens in terms of avoiding pregnancy, drug abuse, gang involvement and a few other negatives. They isolated forty protective factors, but there were two major ones that ended up covering 25 of the forty - a secure and loving family environment and active involvement in something, whether it be sports, church, music, animals... as you say, a passion. I don't want to be one of those mothers who pushes her child into being that type-A hyper-involved kid but dh and I have already agreed, if she shows signs of going down any of those paths (music being the one closest to our hearts but we are o.k. with lots of other things, too), we will do EVERYTHING we can to cultivate that.
    Sigh, it's just so hard to know the right path. I saw a book online today that several mothers suggested in terms of how to have the discussions about these issues with daughters, often and early, in a way that shapes sexual development within the perimeters of faith - if it ends up being any good, I will pass the title on. It should arrive soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Just... wow.

    Where do schools get the idea that they can teach something like that? I understand the anatomy, and puberty and the like, but the actual 'sexual' stuff? Really? Why don't they leave that to the parents? It makes me sick.

    I have to agree with you wholeheartedly on all that you wrote. I feel the same. Thankfully, when it came to sex ed in our class (not as in depth, but we were shown condoms in grade 6, and some girls/guys took some home. I didn't), I already knew about things due to my parents teaching me (I always asked questions about what I heard someone say in school, or things I read in the Bible, and my parents would answer me very well. It was safe, and the best learning environment). Really, do children want to learn that sort of thing with so many other children their own age right there? Will they be willing to ask questions that they maybe really need to ask? And if the adult is someone that believes differently than they were raised, how is that going to affect what they retain from what they are taught?

    It really should be in the hands of the parent. Honestly. Why is sex something that is thrown around so much? Havent people figured out the problems it has created?

    One man... one woman... married... before God... that is the best way, in my honest opinion. My parents did that, we did that, and I will teach my children the same. :)

    God bless you and your family, and I hope you are able to sort out what exactly is going on there!

    ReplyDelete