Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Tuesdays Unwrapped

tuesdays unwrapped at cats

Thinking about gifts, this week, the gift that has been most on my mind is the gift of old friends. Of course, new friends are wonderful and indispensable but on the other hand, there is something so comfortable and gentle and precious about an old friend. I have three friends who have been there for more of my life than they haven't - two dear friends from high school and one that I met just before university. Our lives are all busy, we are all dealing with young children and careers and the stresses of life and we may not talk for even months at a time. On the other hand, when we do see each other, life is just so RIGHT. The continuity is so special to me and now that our children are forming friendships, I can't tell you what it means (and what a silly lump I get in my throat from it). Pk has a huge crush on Kittenpie's daughter (whenever I ask her about someone coming over, she immediately asks about Pumpkinpie) and on Sunday, my other dearest friend with her two boys (and husband, of course, who is also wonderful) came for the day. Pk and the younger, who has just turned 2, played themselves crazy and we got to just hang around - the time passed so quickly and we were all sad when they had to leave. My other dear friend from high school was down for a visit last weekend. I can't tell you how much these friendships mean to me. I only hope that we will still be chatting and sharing life's joys and struggles 40 years from now.

1 comment:

  1. As the saying goes, "New friends are silver, old friends are gold." So true. There's just a comfort, and a shared language that makes it easy to catch up fast. I love my book club ladies to pieces, but you and Sportypie are more than just friends, you're the sisters I've chosen, and yes, I hope to sit drinking tea for many years to come. I know our girls might not be as close as I would wish because of time and distance, but I love that they can play together and be like cousins, who, let's face it, often only see each other on holidays, too!

    ReplyDelete