Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Valentine Decor

When winter is so cold and bleak, along comes Valentine's Day. While the "romance" of it isn't in my life at the moment (two young children, one of whom is breastfed and doesn't take a bottle leaves little opportunity for a romantic dinner out or a weekend at a hotel), I am loving the warm colours, the hearts and the chance to let people who I love know how special they are. I can never pass up a chance for a bit of decorating and since February has arrived, I thought it was time for a few little touches.

Excuse the mess of craft materials at the end of the sideboard. I have oodles of craft stuff for Pk these days and I don't have a good place for it. I bought the table cloth at Homesense last week. I have an addiction for tablecloths, placemats, cloth napkins and runners. Since the table is such a big part of the room, I find that changing the cloth makes a big difference in the flavour of the room.
If you have been around here very long, you will know that I made a felt heart garland for the living room. Well, I couldn't stop once I got started so I made some for the dining room as well. The "runner" on the sideboard is a hand-crochet tablecloth that belonged to my grandmother. In following pics, you will see another, one that was made for me by a elderly woman at our church when we got married. The quality of stitching and the size of the work is gorgeous in each cloth and they are two of my most prized possessions.
I love, love, love flowers and in the winter, there is nothing I love better than spring bulbs. I have decided that as a little treat, I am allowed to have something for the dining room until my bulbs begin to appear outside. My two favs are pink tulips and purple crocus and that's the combo that I have here. For me, the blooms of bulbs are like little rays of sunshine.
I made these mobile-like things to go onto the light fixture last year. I haven't been able to figure out how to photograph them well but they are pretty.
Of course, the top of the piano gets a bit of loving, too. Pk loves the candles and glass tiles (some are round and some are heart shaped). I'd love some more bulbs to go here, too, but I just can't justify the expense.

We are supposed to get a big storm overnight tonight. If we are snowed in tomorrow, it will be nice to have our warm and cozy decorations to cheer us up.

No comments:

Post a Comment