Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dream House

We just got back from a weekend away visiting very dear friends. Every visit to see them is marvelous but this one was extra special - they have recently moved into their "forever home" - this home was built by the husband's grandfather, his father grew up in the house and now, our friend and his wife have done a complete reno to make the house into a dream house in which they will raise their sons. The romantic in me loves the continuity in the generations (to me, a city kid, this facet of small-town life is really fascinating) but to see the house, it's a marvel of modern architecture. It's also very special to see these friends settled as they have earned this special home with a great deal of struggle - due to professional setbacks, economic challenges and family obligations, it took them years to get to this stage. We are so thrilled for them!

Spending time in this dream house has got me fantastizing of what elements I would want to include if I were to design my own house. Our house that we live in now is wonderful for us but it really has its drawbacks. It isn't my dream home but there are many happy memories coating these walls and I have always found it to be a very warm and friendly house. On the other hand, it was NOT designed with entertaining in mind and the set up can be quite frustrating.

If I were to design my own house, it would be like what we saw today - an older exterior, hopefully with come of the trappings of age - deep wood moldings, hardwood floors and fireplaces. I would love to have a living room with nice built-ins to showcase books. I would love a kitchen made with the cook in mind - ample counter space, open access to other rooms to allow conversation while cooking and a walk-in pantry to keep necessities close by. I have always dreamed of have a window seat in my bedroom and, most of all, an open entranceway that lets us welcome friends without feeling like sardines (a real draw-back of our current house). Main floor laundry, deep bathtubs and cool tile to floor my bathrooms would be a nice bonus. I yearn for a front porch (I grew up sitting outside on hot summer evenings and loved the connection to the neighbours) and a screened sunporch for summer afternoon reading without bugs and even a place to doze late at night in the cool summer breezes. I want a yard with the right exposure for roses but that doesn't involve tremendous amounts of care.

What would your dream house look like? What details would you suggest to someone who is designing?

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, a dream house is not too far off of what we have planned for this one, but a couple of feet wider, and maybe with room for a slightly bigger entry, either inside w an air lock or outside, as a portion of the porch glassed in.

    I want deep shelves that can hold coffee table books lying flat spanning between library and hall to make it more open, and drawers in the front hall for hats and mitts and so on.

    We want to move the basement stairs to the back of the house and use the underneath of the stairs to the 2nd floor as pantry for the kitchen, and to have a small sitting area at the back of the dining room, with window seats that have storage for toys underneath.

    We want to expand the bathroom, and have already pushed through a larger closet.

    Really, the only things we won't have are 2nd floor laundry or a chute, the entry port I'd like, and the slightly greater width that would just give us rooms that would be more generous, but not too big.

    ReplyDelete