Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Yarn Along?

I don't really suppose that this post can qualify as a "Yarn Along" post given that I don't have any yarn in the photos.  I haven't been in much of a mood to knit and the only thing I have been working on was a really boring knit dishcloth.  It's in a variegated yarn that isn't working up nicely in the pattern I am doing but frankly, I don't care a whole lot since it's a dishcloth and I plan to use it.  I love the hand-knit ones.  I know, that qualifies me officially as an old lady but I am not apologizing.  Sometimes, I just need to work on something mindless and that won't take me very long.

Part of the reason that I have been knitting "mindless" lately is that I have been massively overtired because I have been staying up too late reading.  I finished Diva's Don't Knit earlier this week (cute - think Bridget Jones meets the local stitch-n-bitch) and have been hopping around with several books.  I don't know why I can't pin myself down.


Here's the pile on the go right now -
The Irrational Season by Madeleine L'Engle, which is book three of the Crosswick Journals, which I am enjoying but which is a very heavy read
Mended by Angie Smith - devotional stuff that I am enjoying but needs some time for reflection, which I don't really have right now
Almost Amish by Nancy Sleeth, which I have been coming back to off and on for a while, which has many great ideas but is a bit earnest for my taste

and the two books for this week:
Jane Austen Ruined My Life by Beth Patillo and 
Greater by Steven Furtick


Jane Austen Ruined My Life was something that I stumbled across when I was at the library with the kids last week.  As soon as you say Jane Austen you have my attention and when I saw that our library had at least three books by the same author in what appears to be a series, I had to give it a try.  So far, I'm about 100 pages in and I am enjoying it.  It's a nice, light read and given that it's set in England and has a mystery at its centre, it's right up my alley.  I hope I continue to like it since I would be thrilled to have a few other books to which to look forward.

Greater by Steve Furtick was a recommendation to me by a good online friend who I met through an online Bible study group a few years ago.  I wasn't sure whether I would like it.  I have serious reservations about anything that smacks of the "prosperity gospel" (love God enough and He will give you lots of stuff as a reward and you don't need to feel guilty about it - I still haven't recovered from how offended I was by "The Prayer of Jabaz" that everyone was talking about a few years ago).  The title made me think that was what this might be but I was very wrong.  I found Steven Furtick very human, very real (I didn't come away with the idea that I am just not holy enough to achieve this) and it didn't seem like I was making a guaranteed deal with God (as in, if I'm good enough or believe enough, God will reward me).  This book addressed things like pride, loss of motivation, how to get started and to remember that we need to put ourselves into a space that makes it possible to serve God in the way that He intends.  It was a good read and I certainly plan to go back to it again down the road.

What are you reading right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment