Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Our First Movie

I am please to say that we did make it to Winnie the Pooh. Pk was over the moon. Instead of going to one of the big Cineplex theatres, we ended up going to a small, art-deco theatre in a nearby town. I will definitely do that again. The matinee tickets were only $5, the sound in the theatre was just right (unlike the last few theatre movies I have seen, when I thought I might have to leave, it was so loud) and the popcorn was yummy. The movie itself wasn't anything terribly exciting but I did laugh out loud a few times and Pk thought it was marvelous. I love the story of Winnie the Pooh and its complexities (I plan to use it as my first read aloud this fall with my grade 2/3 class, it's much less simple than one would think) and yet, there was enough that Pk could understand that she enjoyed it, too.



It was a wonderful outing that we will definitely have to repeat again when another good film comes out - let me know if you know of anything that we might like!

3 comments:

  1. I just wanted to make a quick comment.

    I, too, hate the loudness of movie theaters, I don't know if you know about it, but most theaters to a Stars and Strollers event. They are usually on a Wednesday or Thursday, the tix are cheaper, the lights are on but dimmed, and the sound is a lot quieter. I don't know if PK is too old for it in your opinion, but I thought I would give you the option! You could even take Baby Bean! I could even meet up with you and we could take all our babies sometime!! Anyway, just a thought. Glad you made it to Winnie with PK and that you all enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I debated going to one of those events but I always worried that 1. I would spend the entire movie trying to entertain a grouchy child and miss the movie or 2. that it would be such bedlam that I wouldn't get to see anything. Do you go to films in your town? Meeting up would be lots of fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not in our tiny town. The theater here is not so great. It is only 5 dollars to go, but many seats are broken, it is very run down, and the floors are very very yucky. I go to the Stars and Strollers events at cities close by though. Newmarket, Barrie, Brampton and Missisauga. We've only had ONE movie that was not so good with Aislynn. All the rest have been pretty good. I breastfeed her there, and then the combination of dimmed lights, the movie playing in the background, and her being cozy with mommy knock her out and she sleeps for the movie. It's kind of nice considering she NEVER sleeps for longer than 20 minutes at home.

    ReplyDelete