Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Yarn Along

I have come to really love the weekly "Yarn Along", hosted by Ginny at Small Things. My list of holds at the library keeps getting longer and my knitting projects are getting done since I have a weekly goal of having something to post. It's so much fun. Thanks, Ginny!Knitting - this week, I pulled out an old sweater that I started about five years ago and then put away. It was so foolish all I had left to do is one and a half sleeves and the finishing (I hate finishing, probably one of the reasons it got put away). I had forgotten how much I truly love cables and since this one is knit up in a chunky yarn, it works up quickly. I don't know what I was thinking when I picked this colour since I think it will look awful on me but who knows, I might either discover it looks better than I think or it might make a nice gift for someone. Anyway, it's been satisfying to work on and it's got me really keen to start some other cable work that I want to do (but that won't be started until the end of the summer when I have money for yarn buying). As an aside, any Canadian knitters around here, if you have any good suggestions for online yarn buying sources, I would love to know.

Reading - The 19th Wife by David Ebersol. I LOVE this book. It was suggested to me by someone who has wonderful taste in books not that long ago who predicted that I would really like it. She was right. I haven't been able to put it down. It's two stories threading along at once - the story of Brigham Young's 19th wife who left him to become a staunch critic of polygamy and the story of a young man who was thrown out of a polygamous sect and whose mother is ultimately accused of killing his father and the young man's struggle to determine what really happened. I know almost nothing about the Latter Day Saints or their history and from the little bit of research this book has led me to do, it's pretty fascinating. It's also got me thinking a bit about my own tolerance - I find some of the aspects of it pretty bizarre and, well, ridiculous but then, I guess to an outsider, Christianity might seem that way, too. It's a good read and at half-way through, I can't put it down.

I can't wait to do some visiting and see what else everyone is knitting and reading this week!

7 comments:

  1. I love when I find a project half-finished and get going on it again.
    Those cables are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is always ok to give as gifts! i once put on a brown sweater of my sisters and she said, "take that off right now and never wear brown again." lol. so brown evidently is out for me too!

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a great book! My book club read it, and I really enjoyed it. It really is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kittenpie! You were the one who suggested it to me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a really interesting book. Love the cables on your sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful cables, very pretty. I love the colour, I hope you will like it on yourself as well once the sweater is finished! My mother keeps telling me that brown looks awful on me but I don't care. I do agree that it might not be the perfect colour for me but I wear it nonetheless, I just like it =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everyone. I love the cables, too, and I LOVE brown, just not this brown. I tend to look best in a chocolate-y brown and this is too much of a taupe. Really, I always think cables look best in an Irish ivory/cream colour.

    ReplyDelete