Saturday, August 13, 2011

Over the Bridge

It's been a really busy week, more swimming lessons, doctors appointments and needles (yuck) and having a freckle checked that I was worried about (I can't tell you the relief that it was nothing). On the plus side, the weather has cooled down a bit so we have been able to get out and about a bit more. I love walking, the kids love being outside and our walks help me get through my down time of day (am I the only person who drags from 3:30 or so until 5?)

One of the best things about living in our town is the way that the town is laid out. There's a creek that runs from the eastern end of town to the western end and there is parkland and forest trails that run the entire length of the creek. I love water - there's something about the sound of the water that calms me down immediately and I also love the fact that while we are right in the middle of town, it feels like we are out in the middle of nowhere.

Pk has developed a fascination with bridges and luckily, there are at least three over the creek. There's one that is our favourite, though - it's tucked in the woods and we have never seen anyone there. You walk along the path and the bridge is around the corner, hidden in trees. We practice Pk's hops for dance class, throw rocks and leaves down into the water and look for fish. It's strange how something so small can bring so much pleasure but when I think back to this summer and this time of our lives together, I think one of my most fond memories will be the time we have spent at the bridge.





One thing I want to do before the end of the summer with the kids is to make and sail paper boats. Pk has had so much fun dropping Queen Anne's Lace and watching it float down the river, boats might be a lot of fun.

What special place does your family enjoy?

2 comments: