Thursday, December 1, 2011

December Daily Post 1

Having just done 24 hours with two children with a tummy bug, I am not feeling capable of a post of any depth whatsoever but I didn't want to miss the chance to start my December Daily. It's so easy to get swept up in the frenzy of the season and the shopping and the occasion attending and the event planning and the school concert season and miss the significance of this time. I know there are lots of places I could link up but I don't pretend to be a photographer or to write anything of any significance here, it's more just a way for me to a. capture the fun of the season and 2. to be more aware of the little moments as the days pass. It helps me to be reflective, something which doesn't come naturally to me right now in the craziness that is my life.

So, here's my plan (which may not pan out but I'd like to try) - at least one photo of each day in December that captures something that connects to what the Advent/Christmas season means to me. I'll try.

Pk has been desperate for today to arrive. She wants so badly to open the doors on the Advent calendar. I love the idea of marking the imminent arrival of Christmas (and why don't we do as much to prepare for Holy week???) and while it is my intention to do a Jesse-tree type activity with my children, at the absolute minimum, I want to light the Advent wreath, open a door on the calendar and read something from the Bible with the kids. Last year, I printed off and laminated the photos from Ann Voskamp's Jesse tree study (and oh no, I just stopped over at Ann's blog and fell in love with another idea!) and I loved doing it. I am late starting but I want get it going again this year. I need to find a branch tomorrow.

Dh put the light-up reindeer out yesterday and we are having to revisit another ritual with Pk... she has to feed the reindeer with snow every time we go outside. We had our first feed this evening. Getting out will become that much slower but I suppose that probably won't hurt me, either.

Poor LB, his tummy has really given him a hard time the last 24 hours. Let's hope it gets better.
p.s., When you are saying prayers, pray for my mom. Her health problems have continued and she has just found out that her new surgery date is Dec. 15th. On the one hand, she is thrilled to feel like she is moving forward but it's a bit scary, too, for all of us. It's hard to imagine a Christmas without her as a driving force - nobody loves spoiling others like she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment