Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tuesday, December 20th - Happy Hanukkah!

While we are not Jewish, Hanukkah has become important to me.  As I have done a lot of teaching in areas with anywhere between a few Jewish students and predominantly Jewish populations and as "Traditions and Celebrations" is one of the units in the Grade 2 Social Studies curriculum, it's become a traditional part of my Advent.  There's so much crossover between Judaism and Christianity, as well, it just seems like a natural overlap.

I had a lovely Jewish mother come into my classroom today and bring a menorah, dreidles for the entire class, chocolate gelt and a wonderful story.  She presented to the class and made the celebration meaningful for them.  I was beaming from ear to ear - I LOVE to see my students getting to have person experiences and form personal connections with the celebrations of their friends.  I also love to see the pride they feel in who they are.  I may not share their beliefs but I would fight tooth and nail to ensure their right to be recognized and valued.  I bring religion into the classroom and I don't apologize for it.  I also find it amazing how few parents have ever had anything to say about it.

At home tonight, Pk and I lit our menorah.  I considered putting it in the window but, as our tree is right by the window, I thought that lighting it there might give us more light than we wanted.  Pk was thrilled to be able to light a candle.


 We took photos so that she could take them into her class tomorrow.  I must drive her teacher crazy.  I believe that the principal there isn't exactly the most open guy and I expect that I push the limits - when we work on Pk's alphabet book, for C, there was church and cross, G was for God and J was for Jesus...  I will fight for the right of the Muslim and Jewish kids to have their faiths allowed and valued in the classroom but I will also fight for my child's Christianity to be allowed, too.


I'll get off my soapbox now, LOL.  I'm just trying to decide whether I can skip making latkes this year, since we are having family for Boxing Day and the oil smell tends to linger... it does feel like something is missing, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment