Saturday, August 21, 2010

Growing Up

Today, my baby went to her first birthday party without me. Not a huge milestone but one that really made me think about the fact that my baby is growing up. This is the girl who wouldn't be left with anyone other than me and her babysitter and even daddy wasn't always a certainty. When we got the invitation to this party, we weren't sure because we didn't know how she would handle it. Would we have abundant tears at the door? Would we be like the parents at kindergarten who have to be shoved out the door?

It was so easy, it's hard to believe this was my child. She marched up to the door, said hello and handed over the gift and in she went. We took a moment to give our phone number and cell phone numbers, just in case but when we left, she didn't even notice. When I went back to get her, she was glad to see me but I didn't have any sense that there was any relief in her, she hadn't been bothered at all. Actually, the mother in charge apologized for the fact that Pk got paint in her hair, which they tried to help her to wash out but which was not only in her hair but on her clothing, too. She certainly didn't refuse to participate because she was sad!

Guess she had a good time. Wonder whether she would let me leave her in the nursery at church now? Maybe I might be to hear a sermon, finally. But then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment