Thursday, March 28, 2013

Finding Joy


I went to our local Christian bookstore (I LOVE bookstores - I can't resist and I wanted to pick some things up for the kids' Easter baskets).  I try to keep Easter as Christ-focused as possible but I also don't want to turn into one of those joyless Christians who throw out all of the fun and make their kids think that to be Christian is to be dour and depressing (so, to all of those of you this week who have told me that you wish you didn't have to do candy at all and this is all just a waste, bah - my parents did the most Christian Easter of all when I was growing up and we still have chocolate and loved it).  Anyway, they had a sale on and I just had to pick up this book.

I'm a huge lover of hymns.  Many of my moments of closeness with God have come during songs (hence why you will so often see me crying during hymns in church).  This book was $5.99 and has a daily devotion tied to a hymn.  How could you go wrong?

Yesterday's reading was about joy and that we will approach the Father with gladness and singing.  I think I needed that.  If truth be told, while I have moments of joy, I do tend to be a "glass-half-empty" kind of person.  I get overwhelmed easily and while I keep going and to most people on the outside, I seem happy, I struggle a lot with feeling bogged down by life.  This reading lead me to a decision.  I am going to try to get back to blogging and to take at least one photo a day to capture something wonderful.  When I really think about it, while my house is nothing special and none of us are going to win a Nobel prize, I have so much and there are so many times in a day when I am amazed at just how lucky I am.   It's time to get myself more focused on capturing that.  

So, here goes.  Day 1.

LB woke up with a nagging cough and a VERY grouchy mood.  I debated whether to go to work and send him to daycare but after checking my sick days and seeing that I am o.k., I decided that I would stay home with him.  Me being home = sheer joy for Pk - we were able to walk her to school rather than her taking the bus.  I wish you could have seen how proud she was.  We took an Easter Lily for her teacher and for her sharing, she shared the book "The Parable of the Easter Lily" (Liz Curtis Hicks).  Pk wanted to take a very Jesus oriented book and while I agree that Pk should be able to do that (I would read it if something similar came into my classroom), I didn't think that was fair to spring on her teacher at the last minute so this wonderful book was a perfect choice - it let Pk share her faith without being too dogmatic for a public school classroom.  Pk marched along, telling every stranger in town that this huge plant (which she insisted on carrying) was for her teacher and that her brother was sick so her special treat was that mommy was walking her to school.

The sun was streaming through the trees, which just made my heart sing.


While LB watched his movies (that is the only way to contain him to rest), I worked on eggs.  And eggs.  And eggs.  I wanted to do something for the Children's Worship kids at church and luckily, Mamma Jenn posted a link on her page to some wonderful printable Jelly Bean prayer cards.  I filled each egg with jelly beans and we will hand them out on Sunday.



We also did eggs filled with chocolates and jelly beans for the Pk and Lb's friends.  I love doing stuff like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment