Sunday, November 22, 2009

Gratitude 75

I tend to overplan and when there is an event or a time that I want to be special and significant, I am often disappointed.  I try so hard to make things go the way that I think that they "should" ("should" being a word I oppress myself with so often) and more often than not, circumstances conspire to foil my plans.

Today was a day that was the opposite of that.  Next weekend, as fellowship coordinator at our church, I have organised an advent kick-off event.  It's nothing too sophisticated, just a potluck dinner (and if you haven't experienced a church potluck, you have missed something!), some carol singing, making some ornaments and decorating the church.  Given that we are going to have a huge mortgage at the church for a long time, we can't exactly go out and spend a fortune on decorations for the church so we have asked people to donate things that they no longer use.  We may end up with some pretty tacky stuff but when we did it at Thanksgiving, the church ended up looking lovely.

To get ready, Dh and I got out all of our ornaments today to see what we can happily part with.  That led to going through all the Christmas lights, a trip into town to buy some more and then we spent a good chunk of time working together to get the lights up.  We finished up with homemade cups of cocoa with marshmallows.  It's hard to describe what was so wonderful about it.  Maybe it was the fact that putting up the lights often can become a real chore (as dh said, it was nice not to be freezing his fingers off) and we didn't feel like we HAD to do it today, it just kind of happened.  It's also fun that Pk is old enough to be aware that something really special is happening, even if she doesn't really know what that special thing is.  I think it was just one of those days that we really felt like a family - not sure if you know what I mean but there are times, when things are happening, that I KNOW that this is a day that I am going to remember, a day that really fit its "should".  And every time I drive up to the house in the yucky dark, I will see the lights and think of a wonderful day spent together as a family.

Now, if you have some decorations to spare...

No comments:

Post a Comment