Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ignorance is Bliss

We live in a small town. I didn't grow up here and since I am a big city girl, I tend to find the quirks of a small town really charming. Yes, so everyone knows your business - it's not like we are up to anything to be ashamed of. It's nice to feel a sense of belonging.

Today, though, I am not loving the whole "everyone knows everything". Dh came home from work with a piece of information about a family that is really, really upsetting. We don't know these people other than to say hello and we don't even know each others' names. We shouldn't know and it is something devastating to these people. I can't get them out of my mind but a. I shouldn't know and b. it's not the type of thing you speak to people about. It's kind of ironic because I had been reading something about gossip a few days ago and the damage it can do and that one of the worst aspects of it is that there is no way to "unknow" or "unlearn" something. It was a very timely lesson. In this case, all I can do for this family is pray, which I am doing and which I am asking you to do if you are the praying type. Count your blessings tonight and realize that devastation can come from the most unlikely of corners. Hug your children and your spouse and be thankful that you aren't facing the struggles of some others.

1 comment:

  1. It is one of the things that make me sure I couldn't live in a small town - I like privacy, even if I'm not up to anything nefarious, and if i had something awful to face, I'd want to space to deal with it without knowing that everyone was talking about it. How awful for them. I hope it is something that will pass and turn out okay.

    ReplyDelete