Tuesday, December 22, 2009

AWOL

I keep doing that - sorry.  Not that I have a huge audience or anything :-).  I don't know why I haven't been around - I think that I just got caught up in the frenzy of the season and finishing work.  Being home with a sick child for the last few days has helped to focus things a bit.

One of the down sides of not being online much is that I had over 200 blog posts to go through.  There is a side of me that gets tempted to just mark all as read and start from scratch but then, I might miss something wonderful.  I have spent the last two days gradually getting caught up with everyone (and deleting blogs from my Reader - I just can't manage to keep up and when time is limited, I want to be sure that what I am reading is really focused to what I want right now).  It's interesting to see what blogs I like and what they say about me...

There are three major types of blogs I read - 1.  blogs written by friends (online and real-life), 2.  faith-based blogs and 3.  home/cooking/crafting/domesticity blogs.  It's the third group that has me laughing today.  I have a theory as to why I am so "into" these blogs these days... I think it comes from the fact that I don't have a clue how to relax and these leisurely, savour-the-small-things blogs seem so amazing to me because they are so far removed from who I am.  Frankly, it isn't even something that I understand.  One of my favourite blogs, Attic24, is frequently about spending the day at home after dropping the kids at school, enjoying a cup of tea and some yummy home-baked thing and doing some crochet.  I think I would probably explode if I spent very many days like that.  It makes them all the more wonderful the read about.  

So, as we enter into the realm of resolutions (o.k., so I am a tiny bit ahead of myself), it has me thinking that this year, I need to shift the focus a bit.  I don't tend to do a whole lot in the way of resolutions (well, that's a lie, I make them, I just don't keep them more than three or four days).  This year, I want to learn about how to relax.  I want to try and find a few minutes every day to putter - maybe do a bit of knitting, maybe read a bit, maybe try out a new recipe, maybe fiddle in the garden a bit (one the baby comes, I don't think gardening is so safe until then).   I am going to think about savouring the small things, finding a bit of quiet, enjoying something that is peaceful rather than busy.  I need to learn how to do this or I will go crazy off on mat leave when June arrives (not that I harbour any illusions that parenting two under three will be easy in any sense).  When I was on mat leave with Pk, I had a hectic schedule of classes and programmes and on days when I was stuck at home, that's exactly how I felt - stuck.  I don't want to repeat that again and now is the time to learn.

Are you making any resolutions for 2010?  What are your plans?

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE your resolution idea!! I haven't even thought that far, guess I should get started on that huh?!?! :) I hope the holidays are great for you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few big house projects that need to get done SOON, and then |I want to try to remember to take some time together to just enjoy each other for a change.

    I am also needing to spend less, so I want to start doing a bit more of my buying on craigslist and at Value Village, though they have been part of my shopping, they might need to become more of it!

    That, and purging stuff from my house, 3rd floor and basement primarily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craigslist and Value Village? Wish I had thought of that - I think I need to steal it. I tried doing the Goodwill sales a bit during the summer and had some amazing luck. I just need to be more patient. Learning to be more frugal has definitely got to top my list this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I will deliver some more size 3 & 4 for Pk, and next spring, you can have the baby stuff, so that should help! BTW, what size are Pk's feet now? I have a few unworn or lightly worn 8s that I think Pumpkinpie has finally outgrown. Also some dressup box goodies for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! We have a bunch of stuff to return when you come, if you have car room. One of these days, we need to leave the kids with the boys and do a shop... I miss our ValueVillage jaunts of years ago. It's not anywhere near as much fun alone.

    ReplyDelete