Sunday, December 27, 2009

Gifts

Earlier on this week, I mentioned that I was starting to think about my resolutions for 2010.  Today, another good one came to my attention.

We have absolutely wonderful ministers at our church who come up with really meaningful elements in our services.  Today was our "T and T" service.  T and T is a programme we do at our church based on the parable of the talents.  Each person who chooses to participate takes $10 (supplied by the church) and is to use it to make a profit for the church using their talents.  In the past, I have participated pretty actively, usually making and selling hand made cards.  This year, I just didn't have time.  

The focus of this service is always sharing our talents and gifts.  We had some beautiful singing, people reading and reciting poetry and valuable discussion.  One part of the service that really appealed to me was the message.  As a launch, the minister asked the children what their favourite gifts had been at Christmas and how they knew who the gifts were for.  The message culminated in handing everyone a gift tag and a pen.  We were to address our gifts to Jesus and to record our names.  On the back, we were to record whatever gift we wanted to return to God this coming year.  It might be time or money but it might be something completely different.  After we had all written our tags, we took them up and hung the gift tags on the Christmas tree.  I really needed time to think about it.  I had a few ideas but then it came to me - what I truly need to give back to God this year is my undivided attention.  Yes, I do Bible study each morning but often, when life is chaotic and I am feeling rushed, Bible study just becomes another job to do rather than a critical time to focus myself and listen.  That is what I want to give back to God this year.  It's time for me to learn to be quiet and listen, to read and reflect and to turn my eyes to God.  It isn't always easy and it is going to require some real discipline on my part but I obviously believe that it is critically important.

It's something I am thinking would be great for us to do as a family next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment