Saturday, April 24, 2010

Blown Away...

I am in the midst of a real pity party today. I think I am just overtired and overwhelmed and feeling like I am not sure how to cope... got our tax stuff back from our accountant and I owe (again), I am feeling a bit scared about the baby coming early and we have had a war with a raccoon in the ceiling above our heads that has kept us up at night for the last couple of weeks. Pk has been a pill (what is it about her that she KNOWS when I am finding things hard that makes her dig in and argue with EVERYTHING????) and it's just a bit too much...

But this is NOT a sad post, this is a very happy one. I am always blown away at how God and the wonderful people in my life manage to bless me when I need it most, especially when I have been too proud to ask for help. Yesterday, I got home and checked the mailbox and there was a package for Pk from Kittenpie. She had sent her the most wonderful mobile. It's gorgeous, it is butterflies, which matches Pk's room theme and Pk's current interest. The colours are lovely and it is wooden so it fits with my crunchier tendencies. I emailed her to say thanks and got the nicest note back... sometimes I just feel really disconnected (I don't know if you know what I mean but when life gets really, really busy, I start to feel like I have lost the special people around me, I'm too busy running to take the time I need to to be present in the friendship, if that makes sense). Chatting, even online, really helped. This morning, after music class, one of the other moms, who has become a friend, out of the blue told me that I needed to know that if the baby came early or I had to go to the hospital for anything, that we needed to know that she and her husband would be happy to take Pk for us on a moment's notice, day or night. I could have cried right there. That was a big worry of mine - we don't have family up here and while there are people that I am sure would help if we asked, I feel funny about asking for help. Mom is coming at the end of May and staying until the birth but one of my biggest fears what how we would handle things if the baby came early. Finally, the doorbell just rang and it was our wonderful neighbour. She had a small, white paper bag in her hand. She said, "Well, I have a idea." Her idea was to give us a flip video camera. She and her husband had both been given one at work and since they didn't need two and knew that Pk was at a cute stage (from a distance was my reply to that!) and the baby is coming, they thought we would be the perfect recipients of the camera.

My day has gone from one of feeling really blue and alone to feeling unbelievably lucky. God is good. Now, it's time to find a way to pay it forward - what a reminder to me of what a blessing I can be to other people, too.

4 comments:

  1. God is so good. :)

    You had stopped by my blog for some encouragement last year at Mother's Day, and look where you are this year! :) I hope this is a happy one for you. I'm starting a new encouragement series up now.

    Blessings,
    Michele :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, at the risk of being maudlin, you always were a blessing to other people around you. even though we are both too busy and too far to connect as often as we used to in the days when we'd be at school all day together and then talk all evening, one of the true joys of an old friendship is that it doesn't take much to snap back, so while I would LOVE to be able to see you more, it doesn't dim what a great, much-loved friend you are and what a treasure of a person you are.

    But aside from my being sappy, I really want to say how glad I am to hear there are some people to help look after you guys. A camera is a lovely thing, but the peace of mind knowing that there is someone to look after Pk in a pinch is worth her weight in gold. It IS hard to ask for help, and so nice when it is offered from someone who you feel like you CAN take it from - often enough, those offers are nice, but you don't feel like you can really do it anyhow. It's silly, but I totally understand because I am just the same! It is so important to have a few people who you feel like you could lean on if you really need to. Again, I wish we were closer so we could help with those things - it's a nice thing about our block that I know there are a few families I would totally trust and could ask. If you do have a need to pack Pk off for a night or two in June or over the summer, though, for sanity sake or for a nursing-in or for whatever, she is certainly welcome with us.

    Take care, lady, and please know if there IS anything I can do from over here or by visiting on a day off or anything, it would be my distinct pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Also, raccoons are assholes, and two-year-olds are doing their job when they drive us bonkers. They have extra sensors for when we don't have the strength and totally press their advantage at that moment. I think the CIA really should consider employing a few for help with extracting information from reluctant informants.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to have those blessings, and God sends them at just the right times, too, doesn't He? I know I've had issues with my daughter... it's like they feed off our stress and send more back to us. I find the only way to cope is to sit back, relax, pray, and move on. It's hard to do sometimes... I tend to dwell on things too long.

    ReplyDelete