Sunday, April 11, 2010

Hill of Calvary Garden

I loved this idea and wanted to try it this year. Janna posted it at Mustard Seeds and it seemed such a nice way to involve Pk in the significance of Easter. At this point, she was interested in watching me but didn't want to get her hands dirty. She quickly discovered a love of the water spray bottle and the garden was watered very regularly.

I am thrilled with the way that it turned out. We didn't end up putting anything in the tomb this year but I read a suggestion to put a clothespin wrapped in linen on Good Friday and when the children open the tomb on Easter to have the pin gone and the linen left behind. I definitely think we will do that next year.
I also thought I would include a snap of our Names of Jesus garland. I got the idea last year from Monica at The Homespun Heart and I really like the way that it turned out. While you don't really get much of the effect in this photo, I like the way that our dining room was decorated in the Easter spirit without bunny overkill.


Finally, we also found a wonderful recipe that worked for us. We always have lamb at Easter but we were so busy this year, I wasn't quite sure how we would find the time. I shouldn't have worried. One of my favourite blogs, A Year of Slowcooking, featured a recipe just in time, - Leg of Lamb with Rosemary and Lemon. It was delicious, the house smelled wonderful and I was able to do all the work in the morning. That recipe is definitely going into my binder.

Overall, it was a beautiful Easter and we really felt a sense of the majesty of the gift we have all received. Now, I want to try and keep that sense of awe and gratitude throughout the year.

1 comment: