Sunday, May 2, 2010

Beading Workshop

At church, it isn't uncommon to get invited to a shopping party - Pampered Chef and Partylite being the most common. I don't mind going but I have to say, I do find them VERY expensive. Last night, a friend from church had a different kind of party and I have to say, this was one I really enjoyed!

This party was actually called a "Beading Workshop." The woman running the workshop had been a missionary in Ghana, West Africa for 2 years. While she was there, she developed a real love for the beauty of the beading work done there and when the time came to return to Canada, she wanted to find something that she could do to both maintain a contact with Africa and to help the wonderful people she met. Big Village beads was born.

All of the beads are made from recycled glass, mainly from bottles. Some are also hand painted with beautiful colours and designs. I love the look of beach glass and many of the beads remind me of that. At the workshops, you are provided with an overwhelming selection of beautiful beads and given support to design your own jewelry. I made myself a necklace and earring set, a bracelet and earring set and a bracelet for Pk. I had so much fun. It was a bit overwhelming at first but once I got going, I could see that I could become totally addicted to this.

The jewelry is a lovely weight - I love the chunkiness and coolness of the glass. It also feels really good to know that what I am buying is going directly to help a fair trade industry in a third world country. Normally, when I attend "home sales" parties, I resent being asked to host a party. I have to admit, this time, I am seriously considering hosting a party of my own down the line. Everyone gets a chance to have a visit and to make beautiful jewelry at the same time.




1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! I love those beads! What a cool idea for a party (much better than many of those other ones, I have to agree).

    ReplyDelete