Saturday, July 9, 2011

My Clothing Haul

I love buying clothes. I have discovered that the joys of buying clothes for the kids are even greater - I don't have to look at myself in the mirror, I don't have to face my own inadequacies and I don't have to worry quite so much about colour, I can just buy what I like. The fact that I am not wealthy means that I have to be a bit more creative.

Enter our minister (who happens to also to be married to the main minister at our church, we have a ministry couple). She is a true Proverbs 31 woman - she takes great care of her family and they never, ever go without and yet, she manages on almost nothing. A couple of years ago, she introduced me to the sales at Goodwill, the second hand chain. Weekly, everything is 50% off, which isn't bad on things are are dirt cheap as it is.

I was not a total newbie in terms of second-hand shopping. Way back when I was in university, Kittenpie introduced me to the joys of Valuevillage and in my ridiculously poor days, she and I spent many an hour trying on clothing and looking for second hand treasures. In those days, I never had the patience for that kind of shopping unless Kittenpie came along.

Every Friday, our local Goodwill has their sale. When I could, I would try to sneak out at lunchtime for a little browse and almost always came back with a huge haul for next to nothing. Yesterday was my first Goodwill jaunt of the summer. As always, I was well-rewarded for my time. For $15. 35, I got the stash of clothing below AND three books for Pk and one for me. Not bad!


I also made the mistake of going to the local consignment store. I got some nice treats there for the kids, too, although it was not the great deal that I got at Goodwill. I think I spent about $80 in total there and got the rest of what I needed. It's nice to know that the kids are now both well-stocked for fall clothing.


If only shopping for me was half as much fun!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful - and I think I have one of those dresses for G. in a larger size, so you may be getting it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great stock! I'm slowly catching up on my blog reader! Oliver is asleep in my arms so I'm slow to scroll and type. I don't like when I'm behind... I feel like I'm lost! :) Fun shopping trip!!

    ReplyDelete