Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Gratitude 12

I am grateful for our wonderful doctor.  We had appointments today.  I had stitches taken out and dh was going for follow-up from his adventures of the last week or so.  We couldn't receive more kind or thorough care.  Dh will be going on a new medication and our doctor spent a long time talking to him about what he has been going through and how to manage his depression.  Since he doesn't have an appointment with his counsellor next week, she has him coming for a monitoring appointment, just to check in and give him a chance to talk about how he is feeling.  She took just as much time with me, while I was only supposed to get my stitches out, she spent a LOT of time talking to me about how I was coping, encouraging me about how dh is doing and also patting me on the back for being so willing to work things out.  She is a Christian and we talked a lot about how, while these things can be so hard to endure, that sometimes, we can look back afterwards and see that God used the pain to teach us something that makes us better.  As she said, "Sometimes we have to be broken so that we can be fixed".  She always treats us with such fondness and respect and in terms of dh, she is so supportive of me being part of a team trying to help him.  She also responds to emails and while he was in detox, she was in contact with my daily to check how both he and I were doing and giving me advice in terms to things to ask the doctors.  I have always loved her and she has, yet again, shown me how lucky we really are.
(My stitches are now out and my finger looks yucky but at least I can get it wet.  I always worry that I am being a baby and that she would think that I was silly to have had the stitches put in but when she saw my finger, her response was, "Ugh, you don't do anything half way.  I bet that was gushing blood.")

2 comments:

  1. A good doctor is worth her weight in gold - I saw mine this morning about The Bun's rash and she has us lined up to see an allergist and even though I overheard her receptionist saying there were 60 appointments today, didn't make me feel rushed but took her time looking him over and asking me about things. I love her. May neither of our docs ever retire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't even say it!!!! At one point, my doc looked like she was putting on a bit of weight and I thought she might be pregnant - I almost had a panic attack :-).

    ReplyDelete