Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Gratitude 25

I take the dogs for a walk everyday.  I don't follow a clear schedule - some days, I take then in the morning and sometimes I take them in the afternoon.  If Pk is at daycare, I take them on my own and listen to my ipod while I walk.  If she is here, as often as not, she goes with me and we tend to pick wildflowers for her as we walk.  
When I got up this morning, the weather was looking a bit ominous so I decided to take the girls for their walk earlier to avoid bad weather (I had understood that any possible storms were due this afternoon).  We walked to the field (Pk, both dogs and I) and things didn't look too bad.  The first time around, I looked at the sky and wondered whether I was chancing things.  The second time around the field, it started to spit and just was we got to the entrance of the field, it started to rain so I decided that today's walk would be a short one.  The closer to home we got, the heavier the rain became.  By the time we were a block and a half from home, it was pouring.  
This is where my gratitude comes in.  A complete stranger pulled up in a station wagon and offered us a ride home, dogs and all.  While I didn't take him up on it (I am enough of a big city girl that taking a ride with a stranger is just something I won't do), it was so nice to have someone see our situation and offer to help!

1 comment:

  1. Once in undergrad, I was walking home with that first big grocery shop full of staples, when my bags started to break, and I was just starting to despair when a minivan mom and her kids stopped and offered to drive me home with my bags. I was so grateful, and did take that ride since that seemed pretty safe - I wouldn't have taken one with a strange man either, though. I have never forgotten that small but so-appreciated kindness.

    ReplyDelete