Saturday, August 1, 2009

Gratitude 9

We have the nicest neighbours and we have a fun kind of food game going with them.  I love to cook and I love to feel like I am showing hospitality to others and our next-door neighbours have given me a great chance to do that.

It started last year.  T and R, the couple next door, have a big garden (I am so jealous!!!!  theirs makes ours look like the postage stamp that it is).  One huge crop they have is rhubarb.  R is the cook in the family and she hates rhubarb.  T, her husband, loves it.  We struck up a bargain that she would give us their harvest on the understanding that I would send a piece of everything I make next door for T.  Last year, I sent over some jam and several pieces of crisp.

We went to the next level earlier this spring.  One Sunday, they were hard at work painting their shed.  Dh went over to chat to T and then said that he needed to come back home for supper.  T commented that it was too bad that they hadn't thought about a meal.  They were so busy working that they would have to get take-out and the choice is pretty limited in our town.  Dh came back and told me that they were without a meal.  It just happened that I had a big casserole of what we call "white people food" in the oven - ground beef, pasta and sauce, yummy but not exactly sophisticated.  I put half of it into another casserole dish and dh delivered it next door.

About a week and a half later, the doorbell rang.  It was R with our dish - filled with the most delicious shepherd's pie.  

Next, it was my turn.  Our harvest of rhubarb was ready and I made a rhubarb custard pie with crumb topping, which was amazing (I found the recipe on someone's blog - I only wish I could remember whose so that I could share it here).  I sent over a couple of pieces for T on a dinner plate.  

Of course, a week later, the plate came back filled with cookies (if R gives me the recipe for her lemon cookies, I will post it here - they are amazing).

Well, today, my turn came again.  They had come to Pk's baptism and had given a gift and brought some food (of course).  I wrote a thank you card (and if you haven't gotten one yet for your gift, I am so sorry, they are coming but, as you know, things have been a bit crazy around here).  I thought I should send something over so I added two jars of jam (of course, made with their rhubarb - rhubarb/strawberry and rhubarb/gooseberry).  

R was quick this time.  Probably an hour later, the doorbell rang and it was R with four super large zucchini from her garden.  Now, I have to be honest - we are NOT a zucchini loving family.  We use it to make relish but that is about it.  I was determined to find a way to use this so I found a great recipe for whole wheat and honey zucchini bread.  Here is the recipe.  It doesn't sound like much but I made two loaves and it is perfect with some butter and a cup of tea.  They weren't home when dh went to drop it off so it will have to go in the morning.

I wonder what will come back.

2 comments:

  1. It's so good to have good neighbours. I love a lot of ours, too. It's why I feel really torn sometimes about whether to move to a house tht needs less work or deal wtih the reno crap here forever. In fact, twice now, families have moved from within our same block to another house on our block. I would do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm zucchini! Pioneerwomancooks.com has sme terrific recipes for it on that site as well as on her other one, tastykitchen.com.
    Good neighbours are a blessing, most of ours suck and I dislike them. Alas, like kp we are *still* not finished renovating and not ready to move.

    ReplyDelete