Friday, May 29, 2009

Blogging Advice Please

I would love some advice, please.  When I started this blog, I had no idea what it was going to become for me.  I don't know that anyone else would enjoy it especially but I have had a wonderful time here and it has become my primary means of expressing my feelings about a number of things that have been going on in my life lately.  I am struggling because on the one hand, I love the anonymity of the blog and being able to vent about my struggles but on the other hand, it would be nice to set up a blog that I could use to put out the more public face of our family.  It would be nice to share the nice family stuff with my brother, for instance, but he doesn't need an insider view of our infertility struggles.
Obviously, the best thing to do would be to start another blog.  Here's my dilemma.  I would like to create a blog that you could get to from here but where you couldn't necessarily travel back in the other direction, if that makes sense.  This would become my online journal, my private face for my online friends who have been here for me.  The other blog would be for public consumption.  Could I create a new blog on blogger but not have it appear publically on my profile?  Would it be better to just start an entirely new blog with an entirely different profile somewhere else?  I would love any advice from you.  Do you have one blog, two or more?  How do you decide what to post?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but I know you can have a blog that only "invited" readers can read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill's suggestion is one way, and a good one if you want to keep it under wraps. (go to dashboard> settings> permissions)

    You can also have blogs that do not show up on your profile. (on dashboard, use "edit profile" next to your image and select blogs to display)

    Or yes, safest of all is to just create a separate profile for the family blog. You can put a link on your sidebar here, and readers won't see anything on the other blog, as long as your don't link back from there. You could even make the family blog the invite-only blog if you want to hide pictures and more personal information from the public.

    ReplyDelete