Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gratitude 33

I am grateful that Pk's birthday party was so much fun.  I tend to get these big ideas about how to make something special and about an hour beforehand, I start to panic and wonder why on earth I made things difficult for myself.  Yesterday was no different... an hour before people were due to arrive, I was trying to cut veggies, hang streamers and balloons and I looked like I had crawled out from under a rock.  Remarkably, not only was I ready on time but, if I do say so myself, the room looked good.  Pk was overjoyed when she got up and saw the VeggieTales posters on the wall (how typical, while she liked the play kitchen that we got her and that cost more than we should have spent, the 99 cent poster was her favourite thing).  She was thrilled to have her friends here, the food was a hit and, also really nice for me, I got to spent three hours sitting and talking with two other mothers who I really like and respect and whose children are at the same stage as Pk.  It was wonderful.  We live in a town that is largely a commuter town; you can divide the town in half - those who are professionals who commute to the bigger places and those who have lived here for generations.  When you are new here, especially if you work out of the area, it can be hard to make connections.  It is so nice to feel like Pk (and us) have connections.  It's also a relief that it's over.  
Now, to get ready to go back to work, sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment