Wednesday, August 19, 2009

On the Bookshelf

I have looked at some blogs that have a bookshelf down one side and I like the idea of sharing what I am reading.  I tend to read six or seven things at once so sharing my bookshelf with you would also share how all over the place I really am.  It would also share how pathetically slowly I seem to be reading these days.

Anyway, these are two books that I have really been treasuring of late.  I LOVE The Gentle Art of Domesticity by Jane Brocket (who also has a very pretty blog).  This is the book for me - nothing to do with cleaning or domestic drudgery, all about the fun stuff - the cooking, the crafting and the decorating.  This book is a book to be savoured and it will help you to see the world around you through new eyes.  My only struggle is that each time I sit down for a bit of a savour, I have to fight the urge to run to the quilt store and buy fabric.

Sanity Secrets for Stressed-Out Women is a book written for me these days.  I am about half-way through and have found some really great ideas.  One of the strategies that Sue Augustine uses that I found really helpful is to create a mind map of your stressors and then to sit down and come up with two lists - one of things that you can control/strategies to deal with some of your stressors and the other list being things that are beyond your control and that you have to stop worrying about.  Making those lists was really helpful to me.

What are you reading these days?

3 comments:

  1. I am reading Getting Things Done by David Allen and Handle With Care by Jodi Picoult!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was reading Loving Frank and thinking you'd lov eit - right until it's shocking conclusion, which i didn't think you would appreciate! Well written, though. And just read that Danny Evans memoir and was really struck by so much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the Danny Evans memoir and I hope you don't mind, my father snagged it and plans to getting some of his clients to read it. I was surprised at just how good it was. I need to write to him and thank him (I will pass on his address to you, too).

    ReplyDelete