Friday, September 4, 2009

Favourite Songs You Sing...


Missy, at It's Almost Naptime, writes one of my favourite blogs.  She combines humour, faith and love for her children and often, I find she says things in the way that I wish I have thought of to say them.  Her Friday Faves includes things that I have fun writing about.

This week, her topic is "Favourite Songs You Sing to Your Children."  That got my creative juices flowing!  When a child who slept as rarely and as briefly as mine, and who was, to put it mildly, freakin' impossible to get to sleep, you sing, if nothing else, to keep yourself from saying the things that you feel trying to come out of your mouth.  With Pk, there was a slew of songs.


Love

Mummy loves Pippa Kay,
Daddy loves Pippa Kay,
Chelsea loves Pippa Kay, too-oo-oo.

Lucie loves Pippa Kay,
Sadie loves Pippa Kay,
Gran loves Pippa Kay, too-oo-oo.
Be-dum, be-dum, be-dum, be-dum, be-dum.

(who knows how I came up with this one)

It's Time to Go to Sleep (sung with pleading)

It's time to go to sleep,
It's time to go to sleep,
It's time to go to sleep,
Mama's little girl.
It's time to go to sleep,
It's time to go to sleep,
It's time to go to sleep,
Mama's pretty girl.
(repeat endlessly for the full effect).

The Burp Song (my nieces loved this one)
Rock, rock, rock, rock,
Rock from side to side.
Rock, rock, rock, rock, 
The burpies cannot hide.

Pat, pat, pat, pat,
Pat you on the back.
Pat, pat, pat, pat
To stop the gas attack.

You also need to know that dh is obsessed with Chelsea, his English premiership team and they were on the road to the F.A. cup the year Pk was born (it was a significant frustration that we couldn't get t.v. in the hospital until after she was born - we missed a big game).  She was often serenaded by dh in his endless walking with her (she had colic and cried every night from 5 until 10 and he would walk her endlessly to keep me from having a complete breakdown) with The Name of the Game -Ole, ole (it's available on itunes in German and we actually downloaded it and put in on CD for her) and Blue is the Colour, Chelsea's team song.

There were plenty of other songs that were really big in that first year - A Bushel and a Peck, Skinimarink, Don't Worry, Be Happy, This Little Light of Mine, The Aaronic Blessing, Amazing Grace, The Lord's My Shepherd, Who Let the Dogs Out, Rubber Duckie, The Pink Panther Theme... nuts, I know.

Thanks, Missy, for the trip down memory lane (even though it was only two years ago).  Now, the music is so different (endless Kindermusic songs, Jesus Loves Me, Rock on Larry Boy from VeggieTales...)

3 comments:

  1. Love the Burp Song - that is so hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make my heart melt these pictures..I REALLY think it is time you move here girl..I REALLY think I NEED to take care of this beautiful girl...ok,,I'll move, how is that,,lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make up all kinds of songs, too, especially in the middle of the night, since I am too braindead to remember words to anything but a handful of lullabies, and it's easier just to sing something like round after round of Brahms with my own words or something entirely different. I made up a good milk-drinking song for The Bun this year, too, about how milk is good for babies. Ha! Whatever gets you through the night wakings, right?

    ReplyDelete