Saturday, September 19, 2009

Gratitude 50

Last night, we had our first small group meeting.  I was pretty nervous about it.  I love small group (for those of you who aren't "church" people, small groups are a really "in" thing in churches right now - the idea is to build a sense of belonging and to enjoy time together and to engage in some kind of study).  My minister asked me to be a small group leader in the summer and while I said yes, I really wasn't sure... I teach all week and while I love working with the little guys, I don't find adults anywhere near as easy.  I have been in small groups before where getting answers to questions can be like pulling teeth and when it comes to something like this, it is so important and I have a lot of Moses in me - "I just don't speak well enough of you, God."
One thing that helped me decide was the study we are doing.  It's called "Doing Life Together" and it's from the "Purpose Driven" people at Saddleback.  I love their resources and this one is no exception.  There are DVDs for each session and study guides and you can customize it a fair bit for the group you are working with.  It is organized into six week modules, each one on a different purpose - worship, fellowship, discipleship, ministry, evangelism and life purpose.  Last night, we were starting with worship.
As I said, I was really nervous.  It's a small "small group" (there are only a few of us) and some people couldn't be there.  I didn't know how it would go since Pk was going to be with us (she won't go into nursery or anything like that) and she has been ... well... challenging this week (I went into work yesterday and told a friend that I now understand why some animals eat their children).  I was worried that I was going to get started and realise that in spite of my preparation, I wouldn't be ready or wouldn't know what was going on.  I spent considerable time beforehand praying, "Please God, don't let me screw this up.  I want this to be a meaningful time that brings people closer to you and I don't want to be inadequate and turn people off.  I want this to MEAN something in people's lives."  
It ended up being great.  We took too long to get started (too much chatting) but even that was a good thing... I guess we are connecting.  The study itself was good, the discussion ended up being enlightening and I got some things that I will be taking away with me.  John Ortberg was discussing worship and the fact that LIFE needs to be worship as opposed to an hour or so once a week (not a revelation to most of us, I hope).  He had an interesting suggestion, though.  The idea is that you take a day in the week and aim to make the entire day geared to worship and that you are trying to express joy in God.  On that day, wear clothes that make you feel good, enjoy your favourite meals, take time to be with people who really mean something to you, as you drive, listen to music that brings you to a feeling of worship, etc...  I like that idea.  I know that I get really bogged down in life and I don't live in the joy that is available to me.  John Ortberg said that is actually a sin and I had never thought of it that way before.  I want to make it a goal of mine to incorporate a day of joy.  I am thinking to do it Friday since that is often a low, tired day for me.  I'd like to turn it into a day of celebration.
I am getting excited about this small group thing now.  Actually, I was debating setting up a blog for it that the group can use.  There are daily scripture passages for devotions and I was thinking I might set up a blog where people in our group can comment and discuss that days' reading.  I don't know whether anyone would be interested or would use it but who knows, it just might work.
One other little gratitude tidbit - I am grateful that Missy posted about Seeds worship music on her blog.  I have been listening to that a lot and not once but twice yesterday, I was able to pull relevant scripture out of my head that fit what we were discussing!

1 comment:

  1. So cool! Glad that it went well!

    Angee
    dressesandmesses.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete