Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gratitude 55


I love fall but I guess you have figured that out by now.  There isn't a part of fall that doesn't get me excited in one way or another.  This week, my mind has been on food.

In terms of our cooking, this has definitely been the week of the tomato.  We have a huge bounty of them yet to use.  I have tried freezing them in the past but I didn't love the results.  I like to eat them fresh and so we are all starting to turn a dark shade of orange.  I have tried several recipes this week, some good, some not so hot.  Our favourite was "Herb roasted chicken with summer tomatoes" from the blog I adore, "A Year of Slow Cooking."  Stephanie, the blog author was right - the rice was amazing!

One thing  I especially love is going to the grocery store at this time of year.  I went with Pk after work and I was mesmerized by the squash and pumpkins.  I don't like squash and I have tried to like pumpkin in healthier forms (I don't think that pumpkin bread really counts given the sugar) but the pumpkin soup recipes I have tried just don't do it for me.  I ended up buying three different kinds of squash just to try.  I don't know whether this is the case everywhere but at our local grocery store, they put stickers on the squash with recipes on them.  Tonight, I made "sweet potato squash" baked with butter, salt and pepper.  Amazingly, I really liked it and dh said he just might, on a good day, be willing to eat some himself.  I probably won't cook the other squash again in the immediate future (once a week is plenty) but in the meantime, I will love looking at the interesting shapes and textures.  I read somewhere that certain squashes are really "wonder foods" so I am determined to eat more.  If you have a good recipe, let me know!


4 comments:

  1. I love squash! All different ways, but here's a link to two of my favorites - squash with shallots & pasta and a squash soup recipe.
    http://recipeeps4us.blogspot.com/search?q=squash

    That chicken looks really good! We've got tons of tomatoes, too, so I think that'll go on the menu for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh! That soups sounds amazing1!!! I might need to make that this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't boil & puree it like my mom used to - a sure recipe for everyone but the baby hating it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've roasted it twice now and both times, with butter and salt, it wasn't bad. I can't say that I adored it but we all ate it. I am determined to make it a more regular (at least a once-in-a-while) food.

    ReplyDelete