Monday, September 21, 2009

Gratitude 51

I am the "fellowship coordinator" at our church.  It's not a major position, mostly just getting ready for baby welcomes and collecting for gifts for couples getting married.  The past few weeks have been busier than usual.  It was the church anniversary and as a tie in to our Sunday School curriculum this year (the theme is "Celebrations"), our minister suggested doing a birthday party for the church.  It sounds straightforward enough and it did end up being fun but I managed to get myself into the usual stew - would we have enough/too much of everything?  Would people enjoy themselves?  Would anyone come?  Would I end up doing everything by myself?
As always with church things, my worrying was totally unnecessary.  It ended up being a lot of fun and it gave me a chance to really get to know a new mom in our church (she is new to the church, not so much a "new mom").  Pk and the other kids had a blast (although I was a bit concerned - she had so much fun taking swings at the pinata that I was a bit concerned that she might think it was a good idea to come home and take a few good swings at Lucie, our dog, with the broom).  I always come away from church events with such a sense of belonging - not so much from the events themselves but from the working with everyone to get prepared and in cleaning up.  Pk had so much fun ripping down the streamers and running around the gym with a few of the other kids.  
In so many ways, church ends up feeling like going home.  That's how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment