Thursday, September 24, 2009

Gratitude 53

I am really grateful for my husband and for the courage he has shown over the last few months.  He had really gotten into a difficult place where life was out of control.  He came up with a plan and has followed through and is doing so well!  We see his healing in just about every area of life and I can't tell you how wonderful it is.  I have said a bit here about how there is a history of depression in his family.  They like to call it a "chemical imbalance" but I tend to think of it as a "life imbalance".  Don't anyone think I am saying that people with mental health issues can choose to work their way out or that body chemistry doesn't play a role, that isn't what I am saying at all.  I will say, though, (and I can speak from experience because, through my own therapy, I personally know) that there are patterns that are passed down through families, not by anyone's fault but because we do what we know and usually, we have learned that from our parents.  It takes courage to face those demons and deal with them.  Dh's family pattern is to repress and deny until it gets to be too much and then to take medication to dull the pain.  They are suspicious of counseling and don't want to talk about things.  I keep telling dh that he is giving our daughter such a different legacy than was given to him - she sees a father who is showing courage, who is learning about himself and growing and reaching out.   She won't be afraid of struggle and hopefully, she will know that she doesn't need to hide it when she is finding life difficult.  She is lucky to have such a wonderful example in her father.  

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I haven't commented much, I couldn't let this post go uncommented though :) It's great news to hear that things are better. Courage can be one of the hardest things to find within oneself. I know first hand. I struggle with courage all of the time. I wish I could learn how to summon it up to the surface so it would always be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wondering this week how things are going, and I'm so happy to hear this. And you are exactly right - I have said time and again that it takes courage to admit there is a problem and deal with it instead of hiding from it. I'm proud of both of you, I really am, for the strides you have made with something so very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a positive way to view the situation!!! I'm proud of you and of your journey. Continuing to pray for you both.

    Angee :)
    dressesandmesses.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete